[tech] morwong - pt2

Simon Fryer fryers at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Apr 16 01:33:32 WST 2000

Bing

> A while ago Grahame Bowland tapped:

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2000 at 08:25:07PM +0800, David Manchester wrote:
> >
> > Grr grr wobble footle.
> >
> > Do you guys want to hold it on the maik morwong mods until after
> > we've moved to the new disks, in case any of your efforts are in vain ?
>
> Oh, I thought we'd just magic the file system across.

I have not put in enought work to worry about. I am trying to make it almost
usable before I have to turn starfish off. I will set up sane paths after
the disk issues. It took me an evening to work which files where called
and in which order to get sane paths on my DU box.

> Anyway, I dug up a 'top' for DU (the latest version of the one on the
> freeware CD) and got that working. Also the latest gcc installed.

Excellent.

I have set up locate and updatedb. Updatedb does not traverse /services,
/home or anything mounted in /mnt. Currently the only things that are
mounted in /mnt is the uwa linux mirror. This is so morwong does not
saturate the network links or the NFS server when updatedb is run.

Also have moved the committee scripts to morwong so that the adjenda emails
will come from morwong.

> The main reason I'm setting up gcc is because quite a lot of programs are
> broken and won't compile without it. I haven't installed findutils, but
> the fileutils like 'du' and 'install' are in /usr/local/bin. They're the
> GNU versions - the DU ones are in their old places.

The main problem I have found with install scripts is that cc is not
identified as an ansi C compiler and hence some K&R syntax throws it. I
am sure that there is a deeper problem but I am yet to have sufficient
inclination to solve it.

See Ya
Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh