[tech] Time running out

Melissa Challenor melissa at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 29 17:02:46 WST 2000

> I have been a member of the UCC for a few years now.  Over this time my
> e-mail account has become absolutely essential for my existence at
> uni.  This year I have decided not to renew my membership with the UCC,
> and have applied for an account with the university computing
> services.  However, I have not heard back from them yet (should do so over
> the next few days).  I was just wondering when it is that you guys are
> going to shut down my account (and effectively cripple my academic life if
> I don't have another one set up by then).  If I have an exact date then I
> know when temporary measures would have to be set up (if computing
> services end up shafting me in their bureocracy).

I assume you aren't going to join the UCC for financial reasons (becuase
thats the only reason I could think of right now). We will be looking at
shutting old accounts down when we get to it, which will probably be in
about 2 months, but could be sooner depending on how much study avoidance
is needed early on in semester.

If you are a graduate and are thinking of moving your account to cygnus I
think you'll find us a lot cheaper, they charge $15 setup, $25 per year to
be a member of the graduate club, $16 a month for access. If you are still
an undergrad you will be able to get tartarus access which is limited and
not as relaible as the UCC, but free.

Hope that all helps, if you decide to still not rejoin the UCC perhaps you
could let us know why and what we could have done to keep your patronage ?

Thanks

Melissa

--

			"Protect me from what I want"