[tech] Re: Door problems

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 6 14:56:55 WST 2000

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 02:35:50PM +0800, Duncan Sargeant wrote:
[...]
> What speed are the serial links?  If we aren't using hardware flow
> control then anything > 9600 might be lossy.

1200bps. The black box has or had a label saying it was only good to
2400bps anyway...

> Can we check for the modem's error response from whatever AT command
> we are giving it?  (is there even a response?)

Yes we could... There's an echoing of characters (atH0/atH1), then an OK.

> Can we eliminate the black box?

Yes, perhaps with a DECserver. Whether that would be more reliable is
anyone's guess.. <grin> I don't know if this modem supports it, but many
modems can be reset on a dropped DTR, if they're not completely crashed -
that could help, too.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal