[tech] dumpster diving

Andrew Williams andrew at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 16 00:07:56 WST 2000

My brother found a dumpster full of computer stuff on Havelock street,
near Parliament house (I think he said it was behind 'Interim
Technology', or something similar. He brought home a load of bits and
pieces in the hope I'd find some of it useful, but anyone interested in
dumpster diving should go check it out (maybe check with the owners
first).

The more interesting looking stuff he picked up seem to be:

-An Anvil Designs 'Stallion' 16 port serial card and port box, complete
with disks and manuals. (Anvil are what Stallion used to call
themselves)

-Two EISA SCSI cards, with an adaptec chipset but no identifiable model
number. I'm fairly sure they are EISA - it's the funky two-level edge
connector, right?

-A one-to-five serial port box, like the 'black box' that runs the door
sensors, but seems to be more modern - might be faster.

-A DEC power distribution and switching box - 20A mains cord, and 8
switched mains outlets.

-What I'd guess is an RS6000 card, function unknown.

-An assortment of 9-track tapes and wierd removable disk cartridges

It seems to be an interesting mixture, ranging from 80's to early 90's
(the Stallion card is 93). If anyone wants any of the stuff above, let
me know, because I can't use any of it, and it's going to get re-dumped
soon.

Oh, and someone else has dumped a complete RS6000 system on me -
external CD, 16 port serial card, 3 terminals, etc. It seems to be
missing an internal SCSI cable - at least I think it's SCSI but it
needs an edge connector on one end. It's sitting in my office at work,
and I certainly don't want it - he left it there and asked me to find
out more about it. I'm not sure if he wants to get rid of it, but in
case he does, does anyone want it? If so, let me know and I'll pass you
on to him.

Andrew