[tech] The Hurd

Grahame Bowland gbowland at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jan 24 07:55:43 WST 2000

Hiho all,

I think that the Hurd is an interesting project within the free software
world. It would be nice if the UCC could get with the latest 'cool thing'
out there, and maybe run a Hurd box. I tryed to set one up a while ago,
but ran into problems with the flaky 486 hardware I was using.

The Hurd installation procedure seems to have simplified a lot. Do we have
any 500Mb or so hard drives around? A smaller hard drive for a minimal Linux
install would also be good. GNU seem to be working very closely with Debian
to make the Hurd available, all of the GNU instructions reference Debian.

What do people think? Anybody mind having the Hurd running on a box in the
machine room? Its new and probably unstable - would that be a problem?

--
Grahame Bowland - UCC Sysadmin, Ordinary Committee Member

 Email: gbowland(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
   Web: http://users.wantree.com.au/~bowest/gmb.html
Mobile: 0419 205 123