[tech] The Hurd

Grahame Bowland gbowland at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 25 07:45:04 WST 2000

> On Jan 24, Simon Fryer scrawled :

> Bingle
>
> > A while ago Grand Poobah Maset tapped:
>
> > > I think that the Hurd is an interesting project within the free software
> > > world. It would be nice if the UCC could get with the latest 'cool thing'
> > > out there, and maybe run a Hurd box. I tryed to set one up a while ago,
> > > but ran into problems with the flaky 486 hardware I was using.
> >
> > Some people were doing this a couple of years ago I think. Wasn't there
> > some multi-processor m/b box set aside for HURD?
>
> Two 486's where specifically purchased to run the hurd. Unfortunatly they had
> rather interesting hardware combinations that made them difficult to install on.
> One of these machins was then used for moray and the other for parts etc AFAIK.
>
> I think having a couple of hurd boxes would be really good. Make it two or more
> though, one will just won't be enough - a development machine and a test and
> burn machine.

I'll do this on Saturday or Sunday. I'll try and find some nice network cards.
They were my main problem when trying to set up Hurd boxes before. Dodgy (and
I mean dodgy) NE2k clones that have been lying around the clubroom for 3 months
don't make good equipment for a development box. It'd be good to be more sure
if it was the Hurd that had the bug or the hardware :)

See you all,

--
Grahame Bowland - UCC Sysadmin, Ordinary Committee Member

 Email: gbowland(a)ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
   Web: http://users.wantree.com.au/~bowest/gmb.html
Mobile: 0419 205 123