[tech] XEmacs component missing

Grahame Bowland gbowland at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 12 22:10:51 WST 2000

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 02:35:06PM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 01:51:22PM +0800, David Manchester wrote:
> > OK - so if we can get disk sorted, will UCS pay for the traffic..?
> > I can donate a 9GB + there's 13GB of IPI disk from DaveT's machines.
> >
> > Could we mirror a select 25 or so GB of mirror.aarnet if its public
> > access..?
> [...]
>
> That's very tempting - I've been thinking about how that could work and
> the funky things we could do.
>
> The simple "give UCS a disk" is fine - if it helps us have local
> mirrors, that's great. Hmmm... there's another 47GB Seagate on ebay...
> (full height, fast SCSI).
>
> If we run it ourselves, we get to try other access methods (rsync (yay!
> it was running on uniwa for a while ::-) ) or Coda), or other things.
> Time travel FS'es have been written where you can see a snapshot of the
> archive at any given point in the past, or you might just keep changes
> for the past week.

Well, I guess the IPI disk isn't useful for transporting/setting up at
Bankwest. However there's a few gig in morwong we're not using. There's a
tonne of stuff it would be cool to have locally in PARNET.

We just want cheap space, so we don't need SCSI. Would the box have IDE?
In which case, we could contribute 20Gb of space for a minimal amount.
I'm sure there'd be other people than UCC interested in a mirror.parnet idea -
perhaps we could ask other interested people for disks? Supposing we can use
the IPI disk (I'm just worried about the size of it), we could get 9 + 13 + 20
 = 42Gb together for minimal cost, with Dave's contribution.

That'd give us a lot of cool stuff :)

--
Grahame Bowland - http://gbowland.ucc.asn.au