[tech] Re: [ucc-announce] (Downtime) Sunday

John West McKenna john at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon May 8 12:43:31 WST 2000

Duncan Sargeant writes:

>Can someone remind me why we need 4G for /services?

It does seem a little excessive, doesn't it?  Let's see what we've got...

hmm.  It isn't taking up a lot of space, but /services/lost+found doesn't
look right.  ../tftpboot/tftpboot/tftpboot/tftpboot... over 20 deep.

http-old is pretty huge.  Do we really need it?  We seem to have an ancient
copy of flame there too.  I know that one isn't being used.  I suspect it
was left there when it was discovered that MudOS wasn't happing about
running over NFS.

Killing one of the redhat images would do the greatest good.  I can't be
bothered looking through the rest - it's lots of little things, and they
mostly seem reasonable.

I'm calling 10 meg directories 'little'.  Someone shoot me.

Some curiosities:
mussel has a 4G drive for /.  It is 97% full.  I was always taught that
  this sort of behavious is wrong.
mussel is not services, and yet it has a local drive mounted on
  /usr/local/ftp/pub/mirrors.  A 2G drive, no less.
mussel again - is /space some extra room for people who's home directories
  won't fit on /home?  Because there's ALL of /home's increase from 6G to 9G.

I'm sure we can do much better with the drives we've got.  For example:
We've got a lot of x86 Linux machines.  They've all got their own private
copies of /usr.  Isn't this the sort of thing /services is for?  Give each
machine a small drive to boot from, and mount everything that is shared from
the shared NFS server.  Just a thought.

John West