[tech] Switchesu

Andrew Williams andrew at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 14 14:28:38 WST 2000

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000 14:14:44 +0800, Anil Sharma wrote:

>>I suspect that much of our gear would be pretty darn unhappy locked
>>in an unventilated rack, with no exaust fans, no airconditioning, and
>>a clubroom that gets to over 40' in summer.
>
>If people are in the mood for metalworking, we could construct some sort of
>vent system from the air-con into the racks.

That's been tried before - with bad consequences. Somehow the thing was
constructed to blow cold air into the fans on the back of the rack -
but the fans were trying to blow _hot_ air out into the duct. The air
ended up going nowhere, and the rack got quite warm...

It would be able to work better than that, but you'd have to blow quite
a lot of cold air into the base of the rack, not the top (hot air
rises). That's a lot of ducting, and the ducting would have to be quite
large diameter.

Andrew