[tech] Getting mooneye to be a NIS slave

Bruce Murphy packrat at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 28 21:10:19 WST 2000

> I've been reading up on NIS, and how to set mooneye up as a slave to
> morwong, which would obviously help in the "morwong bounces == mail
> sucks" department. It seems fairly straightforward, the only thing
> stumping me atm is how to create a map ypservers, which contains the slave
> servers to morwong. It needs to be the dbm map
> /var/yp/domainname/ypservers.{dir, pag} I have little idea how to create
> this, making a file ypservers in /var/yp/src with mooneye in it and then
> running make in /var/yp doesn't work, probably because there is no target
> to do it. The DEC docs are rather unhelpful in saying how to create the
> map ypserves, does anybody have any ideas?

It's actually fairly easy, if you read the makefile you'll see there is a
program called on a key/data colon delimited file to turn it into a
dbm thingy. At least on solaries, the ypservers data bits are completely
irrelevant and the keys are the slaves which stuff should be pushed to.

Yes, sort of manual, but then there probably shoudln't be an automatic
way to set up random push clients, just for safety :)

--
Packrat (BSc/BE;COSO;Contract Martyr)
Nihil illegitemi carborvndvm.