[tech] Serial Port Games: Smoke Detectors.

Mark Tearle mtearle at tearle.com
Mon Apr 30 11:25:06 WST 2001

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, James Bromberger wrote:

> Idea:
>
> 	Smoke Detector connected to a standard Serial port (or, for that
> matter, a multi port blackbox like door). Daemon monitors port(s) and waits
> for a signal(s). On alarm, raises alert by some means, possibly smssend,
> possibly email (to several email addresses, at least one of which
> should probably be remote!), possibly by picking up a modem on a different
> port and sending SMS SOS!

There was a project in Silicon Chip a few years ago to connect multiple
smoke dectectors to some kind of monitoring board.   Can I ask
what application you are going to be using your evil idea in?

Yours
Mark
--
Mark Tearle - mark at tearle.com  "He who fights monsters should be careful lest
                                he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze