[tech] Serial Port Games: Smoke Detectors.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Apr 30 13:34:09 WST 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:25:06AM +0800, Mark Tearle wrote:
> > 	Smoke Detector connected to a standard Serial port (or, for that
> > matter, a multi port blackbox like door). Daemon monitors port(s) and waits
> > for a signal(s). On alarm, raises alert by some means, possibly smssend,
> > possibly email (to several email addresses, at least one of which
> > should probably be remote!), possibly by picking up a modem on a different
> > port and sending SMS SOS!
>
> There was a project in Silicon Chip a few years ago to connect multiple
> smoke dectectors to some kind of monitoring board.   Can I ask
> what application you are going to be using your evil idea in?

Well, pretty much as above. Have a page to my mobile when smoke is detected.
I have a Perl script for playing with the serial port as a daemon mostly
finshed for doing this kind of thing...

  James

--
 James Bromberger <james_AT_rcpt.to> www.rcpt.to/~james

       * *  C u in Bordeaux - 1st Debian Conference, July 2001 * *
 Remainder moved to http://www.rcpt.to/~james/james/sig.html