[tech] NIS

Grahame Bowland grahame at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 7 22:36:01 WST 2001

On Wed, Mar 07, 2001 at 09:56:14PM +0800, David Cake wrote:
> >  >
> >>  LDAP being flavour of the month, are there auth-by-LDAP solutions for
> >  > Tru64?  Mustang?
>
> 	There is all sorts of LDAP related goodness at
> http://www.padl.com/ including an LDAP to NIS server that sources NIS
> info from LDAP (commercial, unfortunately, but might respond to
> begging to extend his 30 day eval), PAM and NSS LDAP clients for
> linux etc (they are open source, though),  Perl scripts to help in
> NIS to LDAP migration, etc. Luke Howard who wrote it all is a cool
> smart guy.

The NIS server was something I hoped to write myself - perhaps it's
time for a Free (TM) alternative.

> 	There is also stuff to do with NetInfo there, but I suspect
> only I care :-(

Ooh, can I play with freaky old Apple technologies as well as Sun ones? :)

The University (TM) is extremely interested in solutions to the
Mac<->LDAP<->NetInfo problem. The best we've thought of is an OS X server
box running PAM (it supports it apparently.)

- Grahame

--
A royalty free non-exclusive license is granted to do whatever the
heck you want with this email.