[tech] Weird mount bug?

Paul Marinceu elixxir at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 24 12:03:53 WST 2002

Hi all,

Since a short while ago, mounting my /cdrive windows partition under
debian does some weird stuff...
Here's some term output (running 2.4.17 with mount-2.11n)

delonge% su
Password:
delonge# cd /
delonge# ls -ld /cdrive
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Feb 16  2002 /cdrive
delonge# mount /cdrive
delonge# ls -ld /cdrive
drwxr-x--x   17 root     root         8192 Jan  1  1970 /cdrive

delonge# ls -la /dev/hda1
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   1 Nov 30  2000 /dev/hda1

Note that once mounted /cdrive no longer has read permission for everyone
else, and even weirder, the datestamp is Jan 1 1970, wtf??

Does anyone have even the remotest suggestion (googling turned out
naught)?

Also, for reference, here's my fstab

#
<dump>	<pass>
/dev/hda6	/		ext2	defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro
0	1
/dev/hda5	none		swap	sw
0	0
proc		/proc		proc	defaults
0	0
/dev/fd0	/floppy		auto	defaults,user,noauto
0	0
/dev/cdrom	/cdrom		iso9660	defaults,ro,user,noauto
0	0
/dev/hdc	/burner		iso9660 defaults,noauto
0	0
/dev/hda1	/cdrive		vfat	defaults,noauto
0

Oh, logging in as root from a login prompt does not exhibit this
weirdness...

Cheers
--
* Paul Marinceu (Elixxir)                     elixxir(a)ucc.asn.au *
| http://elixxir.ucc.asn.au                                        |