[tech] Burner vs. Diablo 2 (Re: [ucc] AGM Minutes)

Leighton Haynes dayta at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Mar 25 14:22:36 WST 2002

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 02:03:06PM +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:42:53PM +0800, Leighton Haynes wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 01:31:44PM +0800, Paul Marinceu wrote:
> > > Hmm,
> > >
> > > How hard is it to get a burner moved... :P
> >
> > You don't have much experience with committees, do you?

> > > I agree, the issue has now been talked/exploited to death :D
> > > Just move it from that darned Win98 machine to whichever
> > > workstation you want (ie. sgi or sparc). And if/when Nick gets the
> > > "uberBackup" Linux box running, we can just move it there.
> >
> > I personally find it vastly amusing that people find it 'easier' to use
> > the crappy commandline tools from *nix than learning how to use the
> > (really quite good) windows tools ;)
> >
> > But, I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
>
> To make 'backup copies' of my software I use:
>   dd if=/dev/scd0 of=backup.iso
>   cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=24 backup.iso
>
> You mean there is a faster way to do that with a GUI? ;)

Perhaps not, but the commandline tools are really crap for things like, say
multisession. I often download iso/cue combos and burn them too. These are
trivial to use in windows. I also have really nice tools in windows to do things
like rip out info about positions of things in iso9660 cds and cd images.

All useful stuff. Stuff might exist on linux to do it. I doubt better tools
exist in linux to do it :P

Incidentally, cd burner on multi-boot machine means arguments on which is better
are completely irrelevant. It's be nice to stay this way.

Leighton...completely biased. If ucc take it away from the windows box, he'll
           have to get his own burner.

#0421 113 305 - dayta at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
How do you expect?/I will know what to do./When all I know.
Is what you tell me to. - Linkin Park/By Myself