[tech] IPv6

Grahame Bowland UCC grahame at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 30 02:09:22 WST 2002

Hi all,

You've probably noticed that many of the UCC machines now have
IPv6 addresses as well as AAAA records in the DNS. These are
globally route-able and are not charged (for now.)

AARNET doesn't charge UCS for the traffic in IPv6, however we
are paying domestic transit on the packets to Sydney. This isn't
expected to be a significant cost, and UCC has been useful to
play around getting it working somewhere breakable ;-)

I got IPv6 routing happy natively over the UWA backbone network
tonight, so no icky tunnel interfaces are required on hydra. Most
machines autoconf their IP addresses, which is probably good. I
suspect we'll want to put statically assigned addresses on the
servers, so changing the NIC doesn't go and change the address.

(The 8021q linux module actually works, I'm very surprised.)

Have fun
Grahame