[tech] Downtime and upgrade details

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Sep 15 19:20:54 WST 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, James Andrewartha wrote:

> Ok, here's what I plan to achieve this weekend:

And here's a status report:

> morwong:
> Upgrade to 5.0A, then 5.1A.

Done. Still need to install the latest release patch kit and the current
security paches, which will require a reboot. I also can't compile a new
kernel for it atm.

> Move /services to meito (if I have time)

Done, but not fully tested.

> Move /tmp to the new 256meg domain I have ready for it

Done.

> mooneye:
> Reinstall onto Andrew's IDE drive, in Rabbit's K6-2

Done. There were a few problems, mainly mail related. If anything's not
working, email tech and I'll have a look.

> hydra:
> Add more RAM, upgrade to woody and a recent kernel

More RAM: done. Upgrade to woody: in progress. A recent kernel: the stock
debian kernel doesn't think hydra has PCI, which is a problem :-(

> Those are the primary targets. Secondary targets:
>
> meito:
> Make a yp slave, create homedir tree for mounting by insecure machines

yp slave: done. hoemdir tree: will leave for later

> mussel:
> Set up samba to be a PDC for cybium

Not done. Perhaps could install Win2k Single Sign-on on morwong instead
for extra wackiness.

> dual pentium (was mooneye):
> Install onto Andrew's SCSI drive, make useful

Trent was having a shot at this, didn't get very far. I might poke it
later this evening.

# UCC Treasurer        http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |