[tech] Downtime and upgrade details

David Manchester mustang at morwong.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 16 13:51:50 WST 2002

Aha - I have a real mailreader again.

> > Ok, here's what I plan to achieve this weekend:
> And here's a status report:
>
> > morwong:
> > Upgrade to 5.0A, then 5.1A.
> Done. Still need to install the latest release patch kit and the current
> security paches, which will require a reboot. I also can't compile a new
> kernel for it atm.

Cool - looks like it was smooth.
You might want to convert the wtmp to the new format - it had me
depicted as reading nick's mail yesterday..

> > Move /services to meito (if I have time)
> Done, but not fully tested.

See my mail on that subject.
I fully expect Disksuite to go *boom* at some random time.

> > Move /tmp to the new 256meg domain I have ready for it
> Done.

Good stuff.

> > mooneye:
> > Reinstall onto Andrew's IDE drive, in Rabbit's K6-2
>
> Done. There were a few problems, mainly mail related. If anything's not
> working, email tech and I'll have a look.

Yeah - mail's still screwy but matt's on the case.

> > hydra:
> > Add more RAM, upgrade to woody and a recent kernel
> More RAM: done. Upgrade to woody: in progress. A recent kernel: the stock
> debian kernel doesn't think hydra has PCI, which is a problem :-(
>
> > Those are the primary targets. Secondary targets:
> >
> > meito:
> > Make a yp slave, create homedir tree for mounting by insecure machines
> yp slave: done. hoemdir tree: will leave for later
>
> > mussel:
> > Set up samba to be a PDC for cybium
> Not done. Perhaps could install Win2k Single Sign-on on morwong instead
> for extra wackiness.

You -are- keen :P
Do we want to turn off some of the java/snmp cruft on Morwong?

> > dual pentium (was mooneye):
> > Install onto Andrew's SCSI drive, make useful
> Trent was having a shot at this, didn't get very far. I might poke it
> later this evening.

Well done for your efforts so far.
Do you need a hand with some of this - we inducted a whole bunch
of wheel members who've been veeery quiet so far.

D.
--
" I don't get mad.... I get stabby. "
- William "Fat Tony" Williams.