[tech] Cobbler

Grahame Bowland UCC grahame at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 15 22:15:53 WST 2003

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 10:08:32PM +0800, Davyd 'proXy' Madeley wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-02-15 at 22:02, Grahame Bowland (UCC) wrote:
>
> > Fine. It still doesn't work, and I'm going to take care of it. Say hello
> > to a Samba PDC and not having Admin unless you're in wheel! :-)
> >
> > (Also means nice things like getting your home area and your own
> > desktop, and other good things.) And also not having your setup randomly
> > blown away by some gumby.
>
> I've wanted this done for ages!
>
> Although... the problem with attempting to make cobbler a secure box, is
> that is has that harddrive caddy, hence forth making it quite a bit
> easier to root. Do you really want that gumby who shoved his harddrive
> in gaining access to your home directory?
>
> Then again, it can't be any less secure then the way our homedirs are
> mounted now...

If we lock the machine down and the hard drive is on the secondary IDE
bus it shouldn't really pose a problem. They could make the machine stop
working, but that's not hard anyway :-)

Anyway, I'll play tommorow. The Linux on there is okay and James will
kill me if I touch it (TM). The box itself needs some attention though,
which will be the first thing.