[tech] Re: UCC uplink network upgrade

Grahame Bowland grahame at angrygoats.net
Thu Jun 19 15:29:00 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-19 at 12:36, David Cake wrote:
> At 12:21 PM +0800 19/6/03, Nick Bannon wrote:
> >So... Any updates?
>
> 	At this stage, I am going to try for 4 core fibre, with the
> second pairs purely as a backup. I am undecided about Alloy vs DLink
> switches - I wish I had more idea about how the various switches will
> actually perform in action. The Alloys in particular are a bit of an
> unknown quantity.
> 	Reliability is my main concern about the switches, providing
> we have the requisite VLAN support etc. I don't care much about 100
> vs gig ether (though it seems important to Nick, I think there is a
> very little to gain from it), or about minor cost differences.

We're "not happy" at UCS with the D-Links. They need manual intervention
far, far too often.

I've got an Alloy on order, it'll arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know how
I go, and maybe drop around the office on Monday and have a look at it.

One thing we're keen on is it's size : according to the spec sheet, it's
much smaller depth-wise than the D-Link. The D-Links can be a real pain
to get into small network closets.

Cheers,
Grahame