[tech] problems with TV-out

Andrew Williams andrew at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 4 21:41:01 WST 2004

On Wed, 04 Feb 2004 21:07:29 +0800, Anil Sharma wrote:

>I have a Geforce 2 and it displays perfectly to my TV through an composite
>cable with just the OS (XP) desktop showing.  However, when playing movies
>onto the TV there appears out of nowhere lots of horizontal lines --- which
>get especially bad with block colour (like in Astroboy *sobs*).  This
>happens with DVD, DIVX and even Real Media clips.  It isn't a zero
>groun-loop problem.  I was thinking it is interference... but why would it
>not manifest itself with block colour from displaying the desktop?

I've got a GeForce4 (Ti4200), and had endless pain with TV-out on video
overlay - try setting the output to NTSC (if your TV supports it), or
if not, play with different video drivers.

I found that somewhere after driver version 45.23 (the one I eventually
settled with that works), video-overlay on TV-out broke, it just shows
flat black, no picture at all, when I choose PAL output. Setting to
NTSC works, but my TV can't handle it so it displays as B&W. I've tried
52.16 and 53.03, and neither work. There appears to be no way to report
bugs, and they only seem to bother testing NTSC output.

All this was after upgrading from 44.03 to 52.16 because I discovered
the 44.03 drivers crashed the computer, hard, when my new digital TV
tuner card tried to put up an HDTV overlay...

Andrew