[tech] manbo, gibson

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Dec 17 20:07:05 WST 2005

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 08:07:18AM +0800, Simon Fryer wrote:
> > A while ago David Adam tapped:
[...]
> I could suggest co-lo in the UK - had to scrape the inside of my windscreen
> this morning... The condensation solidified overnight! Also, if the
> windscreen is below 0 Celsius, the condensation from your breath solidifies
> making it difficult to see where you are driving.

Feel like picking a 24GiB E10K up? 102 pounds so far, but it hasn't hit
its reserve price yet. <grin>
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5840355574

More manbo upgrading tonight, for anyone wanting to drop by!

> > UCC (Almost made a crack about Wheel Group being tyred of the heat
> > problems, but it was all a bit exhausting)
>
> That was pretty flat. Revolutionary, but flat.

We got 'round to an improvement today, [TRS] and I took a spin to "The
Good Guys" and rolled out with a new air conditioner.

$320 for Gibson, our new Celsius brand window-box unit, much the same
as poor old Gobi, which it has replaced. Specified for 0.96kW energy
input for 2.50kW of cooling - that seems pretty accurate, it's sucking
3.8-3.9A, the same as Atacama. They're both plugged into a 15A socket
in the machine room, which is therefore only at about half capacity.

http://search.energyrating.gov.au/air_srch.asp?sort=%5BNew+SRI+Cool%5D+DESC%2C%5BNew+SRI+Heat%5D+DESC&list=basic&Elec=&CUses=&HUses=&Years=&type=Cooling+Only&Inst2=Window+Wall&Inst=all&Out=0203&brand=CELSIUS&B1=SEARCH

It has bonus bling - a LED temperature display and an IR remote (don't
lose it!). [DAA] tested it working through the machine room door...

It's helping a bit...
http://www.ucc.asn.au/stats/temp.html

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal