[tech] manbo, gibson

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Dec 18 23:02:11 WST 2005

On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Nick Bannon wrote:

> More manbo upgrading tonight, for anyone wanting to drop by!

Well, we finally upgraded to Solaris Nevada b28, after waiting overnight
to put in the next cdrom. Nick and I played around with manbo some more
today, and all boards are in. Noteable points:

- all boards have 2GB except for board 11, which has 256MB
- board 11 does not like hot-swapping, possibly due to bad connections.
- the ram in board 11 was swapped from the other board that didn't boot,
   and it turns out one set might not be matched.
- the tape library is connected to a HVD sbus card
- the gigaplane runs at 80MHz - putting the same cards into manduba would
   allow running at 100MHz, although we couldn't fit in the PCI board or
   the gige fibre card.
- IPv6 is the devil - it was causing hangs that made ZFS unusable until it
   was disabled.
- I'm currenting moving the old space to the new, ZFS /space.
- /space will be two 6x18gb disk raid-zs and a 2x36gb mirror.
- ZFS natively exports NFS, so some fun will be needed to control the
   permissions. Oh, and NFSv4 is bad (well, at least confusing).
- Nick has some current readings in various configs. I've left it with an
   extra PSU in there, prtdiag reports the power status as redudant.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |