[tech] Potential configuration problems on Mussel

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 3 00:49:28 WST 2005

I'm back!

In an attempt to get Mussel up to recent standards, I did the equivalent
of an apt-get dist-upgrade (full system upgrade) over this evening. After
upgrading about 900 packages, and picking up some fairly important
security fixes, only one outstanding problem remains.

----
mussel:~# dpkg --configure -a
Setting up libapache-mod-perl (1.29.0.3-6) ...
David Adam <zanchey@> broke this package.
David Adam <zanchey@> broke this package.
----

There is a problem with apache-modconf and the PERL module
Debconf::Element::Dialog (namely,
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Element/Dialog.pm doesn't exist, but should
basicallly be a glue file that holds
/usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Element/Dialog/* together), which prevents
libapache-mod-perl from configuring properly. Thus, I bashed the
configuration files into shape (see above) in order to get the
configuration to complete.

I don't -think- this matters. Mod_PERL is already installed and running.
Apache seems cool with it all. However, it might be something to watch out
for. Too tired to report a bug right now, and I hope that sometime in the
next few weeks a new patch for apache-modconf or something comes out and
unbreaks it.

(If you see a new version for apache-modconf, can you let me or your
nearest wheel member know, please?)

Cheers,

David Adam
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
UCC Wheel Member
(Ranked 1 over all other wheel members for causing instability this week.)