[tech] azure login problem

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 27 22:44:37 WST 2005

Alastair,

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005, Alastair Irvine wrote:

> I can't seem to log into azure, using OpenSSH v3.5p1 (protocol v1 or v2).
> Neither SSH key nor password authentication worked.

You're an illegal user!

> Is it mounting home directories and/or accessing NIS maps?

It's mounting /home OK, but refuses to bind to NIS. I have so far been
unable to convince it that morwong is, in fact, alive.

On start/restart, the NIS daemon (nsd) prints the following line to
syslog:

Jun 27 21:11:15 3D:azure nsd[1228]: NIS server for domain whalefish not
responding.

morwong is, of course, pingable, and all the services that seem to be
required are started. `nsd -v -l 6` reveals nothing particuarly
interesting: the connection appears to be timing out.

Might be a firewalling issue or something; however, I have no time left to
examine this issue. Perhaps one of the old-skool UNIX people can take a
look?

Cheers,

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member