[tech] WAIX Routing ETA

Davyd Madeley davyd at madeley.id.au
Tue Mar 1 21:29:52 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 19:58 +0800, Grahame Bowland wrote:

>What I can do is provide UCC with a list of networks that are WAIX. We
>can then load that list into the router. The only problem is the
>potential liability if someone is leaching and WAIX is down...

This would of course give us the advantage of not having to have WAIX
ips for machines. Would there be any reliable way to know if WAIX
routing is down?

The only thing I can think of is checking our next hop past Parnet, and
doing it say once every 5 minutes. So the worst that could happen is
that we get charged for 5 minutes of extra traffic.

If only WAIX appeared at UWA as a separate interface... but alas.

Incidently, I was under the impression that we had unfettered access to
internet2, but from my quick play the other day, that does not seem to
be the case. Can you comment on this?

Perhaps we should just wait until the Internet becomes practically free
for the entire campus. Is that going to happen at some point this year?

--
Davyd Madeley              http://www.davyd.id.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://www.davyd.id.au/pgp/>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA