[tech] UCC internal network reachability

Matt Johnston matt at ucc.asn.au
Mon Nov 14 21:19:32 WST 2005

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 09:16:28PM +0800, alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au wrote:
> I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this problem.  The output below is
> from one machine at my place.  Another machine here and a web ping gateway gave
> similar results.  The same ICMP response comes back for the other UCC machines I
> tried.
>
> ("code 10" means Communication with Destination Host is Administratively
> Prohibited.)
>
>   $ ping manbo.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
>   PING manbo.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au (130.95.13.7) 56(84) bytes of data.
>   From madako.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au (130.95.13.3) icmp_seq=1 Dest Unreachable, Bad
> Code: 10

aarnet are charging us for traffic over waix, so the
firewall is blocking the traffic (see
http://traffictester.ucc.asn.au/ to check). It's using a
non-standard ICMP code so that it's recognisable and
programs will quickly avoid connecting. Hopefully things
should get fixed some time in the future.

For now, you can use the coke-charged ssh.ucc.asn.au or
telnet.ucc.asn.au, or tartarus for students.

Matt