[tech] UCC internal network reachability

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 21:53:56 WST 2005

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005, Matt Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 09:16:28PM +0800, alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone can shed some light on this problem.  The output below is
> > from one machine at my place.  Another machine here and a web ping gateway gave
> > similar results.  The same ICMP response comes back for the other UCC machines I
> > tried.
> >
> > ("code 10" means Communication with Destination Host is Administratively
> > Prohibited.)
> >
> >   $ ping manbo.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
> >   PING manbo.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au (130.95.13.7) 56(84) bytes of data.
> >   From madako.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au (130.95.13.3) icmp_seq=1 Dest Unreachable, Bad
> > Code: 10
>
> aarnet are charging us for traffic over waix, so the
> firewall is blocking the traffic (see
> http://traffictester.ucc.asn.au/ to check). It's using a
> non-standard ICMP code so that it's recognisable and
> programs will quickly avoid connecting. Hopefully things
> should get fixed some time in the future.

IMO, type 10 is exactly the right message to be sending...

> For now, you can use the coke-charged ssh.ucc.asn.au or
> telnet.ucc.asn.au, or tartarus for students.

Also, for those who are unaware, connecting to martello.ipv6.ucc.asn.au
will work for free, ATM - if you have IPv6 connectivity. Replacing
martello with mussel also works, although manbo, mermaid and morwong
don't accept IPv6 logins yet. I have been raving on IRC about Windows'
IPv6, which is just too easy for words.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member