[tech] Cybium Windows reinstall

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 6 22:39:31 WST 2006

I was working on Cybium this afternoon when I noticed some unusual system
behaviour. Further investigation revealed a stack of spyware programs and
a couple of trojan/backdoor programs, so I wiped the Windows system
partition (after imaging somewhere safe) and with MSH's assistance,
reinstalled Windows XP. It now has Service Pack 2 (couldn't be installed
previously due to lack of free space).

FYI, the image is in cybium:/space/winbackup (accessible from the Ubuntu
install) and we can restore data from it as required. I'm thinking
people's bookmarks and things, please be careful with executables.

It has been patched up, anti-virused (we should probably get an AV client
that can easily be updated) and client-side firewalled. The usual caveats
on installing software in violation of EULAs apply.

(Also, FWIW, wheel members can now join machines to the domain using their
own account, although I'm not sure how good an idea security-wise this
is. I made the change a while ago but can easily back it out.)

Cheers,

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au