[tech] SunFire V480

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 17 23:55:03 WST 2007

Among the stuff we acquired from the School of Population Health was a
SunFire V480, containing two UltraSPARC-III+ 900 MHz processors, 4GB of
RAM, two 36GB Fibre Channel disks and a remote management card. It has
space for another CPU/RAM module.

It's a reasonably powerful machine, and it might be worth doing something
with it.

One possibility is replacing Mussel and Mooneye as the primary web server
- Mussel's load is reasonably high these days (not at the moment, because
I just crashed it). I'm not convinced that Solaris would be the best
choice here - Debian/SPARC will possibly be easier to get running and to
maintain.

Another option is to hook up some disks and take over Martello's
file-serving capabilities, thus allowing us to use Martello as a Xen
machine. This may well hurt performance, though, and we'd need to pick up
a gigabit card that will work with Solaris if we're going to run that.
[TRS] has more concrete ideas in this direction so perhaps he can expand
on this at some stage.

As a name, I like Musundo.

Output of prtdiag(1m) below.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Ask Me About Our SLA!

---

root at gis03[54]# prtdiag -v
System Configuration:  Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire 480R
System clock frequency: 150 MHz
Memory size: 4096 Megabytes

========================= CPUs ===============================================

          Run   E$    CPU     CPU
Brd  CPU  MHz   MB   Impl.    Mask
---  ---  ---  ----  -------  ----
 A    0   900  8.0   US-III+  2.3
 A    2   900  8.0   US-III+  2.3

========================= Memory Configuration ===============================

          Logical  Logical  Logical
     MC   Bank     Bank     Bank         DIMM    Interleave  Interleaved
Brd  ID   num      size     Status       Size    Factor      with
---  ---  ----     ------   -----------  ------  ----------  -----------
 A    0     0       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0
 A    0     1       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0
 A    0     2       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0
 A    0     3       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0
 A    2     0       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0
 A    2     1       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0
 A    2     2       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0
 A    2     3       512MB   no_status     256MB     8-way        0

========================= IO Cards =========================

                    Bus  Max
 IO  Port Bus       Freq Bus  Dev,
Type  ID  Side Slot MHz  Freq Func State Name                              Model
---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----- --------------------------------  ----------------------
PCI   8    A    0    66   66  1,0  ok    SUNW,XVR-100                      SUNW,375-3126

=========================  Environmental Status =========================

System Temperatures (Celsius):
-------------------------------
Device          Temperature     Status
---------------------------------------
CPU0             49             OK
CPU2             48             OK
DBP0             22             OK

=================================

Front Status Panel:
-------------------
Keyswitch position: DIAG

System LED Status:

  LOCATOR   FAULT    POWER
  -------  -------  -------
   [OFF]    [ ON]    [ ON]

=================================

Disk Status:
------------
DISK 0: [NO_FAULT]
DISK 1: [NO_FAULT]

=================================

Fan Status:
-----------

Fan Tray        Fan              RPM    Status
-----------     ----            -----   ----------
FAN_TRAY_0      CPU0_FAN         5555   [NO_FAULT]
FAN_TRAY_0      CPU1_FAN         3896   [NO_FAULT]
FAN_TRAY_0      CPU2_FAN         3846   [NO_FAULT]
FAN_TRAY_1      IO0_FAN          3947   [NO_FAULT]
FAN_TRAY_1      IO1_FAN          4000   [NO_FAULT]

=================================

Power Supplies:
---------------

Supply     Status        Fault     Fan Fail   Temp Fail
------    ------------   --------  ---------  ---------
PS0      [NO AC POWER ]
PS1      [NO_FAULT    ]   OFF       OFF       OFF

=================================

========================= HW Revisions =======================================

System PROM revisions:
OBP 4.10.7 2003/06/11 07:03