[tech] flying, manbo, maroon, libldap-nss

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Nov 8 15:37:51 WST 2007

I came in last night and did a bit of maintenace:

o I tried to get flying up and running again, but it stubbornly refused to
   boot from CD. I also pulled the capture card from maroon and put it back
   in to flying, so the B&W webcam can run again.

o I rebooted manbo to b75, which went ok except that quite a few services
   were set to disabled, including ldap/client (causing Zanchey to not be
   able to log in) and nfs/server. I also enabled mdnsd, the port of
   Apple's zeroconf code which includes an evil wrapper for Avahi clients.
   Native CIFS [1] is coming soon, and might be worth a look.

o Manbo's reboot allowed maroon to mount /home again.

o The bug [2] in libnss-ldap we hit last year [3] was fixed 7 weeks later,
   so there's no reason to be using sarge's libnss-ldap any more. I didn't
   want to mess around with it, but we are using the etch version on
   mermaid without any problems, so it's probably safe to upgrade.

[1] http://opensolaris.org/os/project/cifs-server/
[3] http://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/tech/2006-August/003092.html

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |