[tech] Apollo speed

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 18:25:23 WST 2007

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, James Cox wrote:

> The quickest way would be to put a special dotfile
> (.metadata_never_index) into every home directory to turn off
> spotlight indexing, and then put a message into apollo's MOTD or
> something similar to inform the few people who would want an index how
> to get it back.
>
> I *think* this will work but I'm not sure if it will if the NFS export
> is mounted as a special folder and not a normal Volume.

There's a file ~/.Spotlight-V100/Store-V1 called VolumeConfig.plist that
has user-specific settings, including the following:
         <dict>
                 <key>partialPath</key>
                 <string>ucc/user</string>
                 <key>policySearch</key>
                 <integer>3</integer>
         </dict>
When mdutil -i off is called on /home/ucc/user the value of policySearch
is changed from 3 to 1. Changing it manually doesn't have an effect, but
that might be because I'm logged in at the time of making the change.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |