[tech] Martello's largely unsuccessful upgrade

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Aug 7 13:43:34 WST 2008

An attempt to upgrade Martello's RAM from 2 to 6GB failed today due to
dodgy new RAM. Similarly, the attempt to install a SCSI card to
restore backups failed after the kernel panicked whenever it was inserted.
I guess that's what you get for buying cheap RAM off eBay - [TRS] is
going to return it.

On the upside, we did remove two drives for warranty RMA, and upgrade the
BIOS (a chore in itself). Martello is now also running a newer version of
the Linux kernel.

Thanks to Rufus and James A for their assistance, and sorry to everyone
else for the extended downtime.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au