[tech] martello downtime

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 18:27:52 WST 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, James Andrewartha wrote:

> Both drives on martello's sil24 SATA controller got kicked off briefly,
> which was enough to break its RAID 5 setup. After recovering it using the
> method described in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410136 and
> http://kev.coolcavemen.com/2008/07/heroic-journey-to-raid-5-data-recovery/
> I gave all the volumes a fsck and everything seems to be OK. I've switched
> back to the 2.6.18 kernel, as I checked the logs and noticed the disks had
> been having ATA bus errors recently.

Oh, and there's a 300GB warranty returned drive waiting to be installed as
a hot spare - I decided it was better to get the RAID array back up first,
then we can schedule some downtime later. At the same time it'd be nice to
take mussel down to increase the size of its /var.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |