[tech] martello downtime

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 3 14:31:35 WST 2008

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, James Andrewartha wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008, James Andrewartha wrote:
>
> > Both drives on martello's sil24 SATA controller got kicked off briefly,
> > which was enough to break its RAID 5 setup. After recovering it using the
> > method described in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=410136 and
> > http://kev.coolcavemen.com/2008/07/heroic-journey-to-raid-5-data-recovery/
> > I gave all the volumes a fsck and everything seems to be OK. I've switched
> > back to the 2.6.18 kernel, as I checked the logs and noticed the disks had
> > been having ATA bus errors recently.
>
> Oh, and there's a 300GB warranty returned drive waiting to be installed as
> a hot spare - I decided it was better to get the RAID array back up first,
> then we can schedule some downtime later. At the same time it'd be nice to
> take mussel down to increase the size of its /var.

Both disks dropped again last night, so we pulled it out and put the new
disk in as a hot spare. Recovery went OK, and I no longer think it's a
controller or driver issue, since there were 4 disks on it and only two
are having problems - they were also not detected one boot because their
power cables weren't in fully, so it's more likely to be individual disk
or power issues.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |