[tech] New aircon (was: Anyone in the clubroom?)

Scott Young splintax at ucc.asn.au
Thu Mar 26 18:52:41 WST 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Nick Bannon <nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> I am a little worried about having one big aircon, though, unless we
> have a pre-approved contingency plan to buy perhaps a slightly smaller
> replacement at the first sign of trouble. There's a lot of running
> around to get a warranty repair, especially if the first few failures
> are intermittent.
> So... we could leave atacama running and add a portable aircon. They're
> not great, but they might be easier in practice to swap or repair.

We discussed this briefly at the committee meeting on Tuesday. [LOL]
is going to look into getting gibson repaired (again), and atacama is
working fine -- so, if we purchase the air conditioner [TRS]
recommended, then we'll have one (and hopefully two) small air
conditioners to use as a backup should it fail.

The consensus at the meeting was that we'll start fundraising for (and
eventually buy) the 6 kW unit that [TRS] recommended as long as tech@
and wheel@ approve.

So, does anybody object to purchasing the Kelvinator KWH62CRA for
$943, incl. 7-year extended warranty, given that we have one smaller
aircon as a backup, and we may have gibson running again soon?

If I don't hear from anybody in the next few days, I'll send out an
email to ucc-announce@ asking for contributions.

[SJY]