[tech] [Resnet] Issues with RESNet

Richard Wotherspoon richard.wotherspoon at uwa.edu.au
Fri Nov 27 14:18:46 WST 2009

Hi All,

At around ~12:00 today (Friday 27th) we found that Outbound Skype Traffic was saturating the link, cause poor performance overall.
This was likely caused by a Skype Supernode (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernode_%28networking%29).

Basically we have resolved this by setting a reasonable outbound Skype traffic limit for the RESNet Link.

If you are seeing any other ongoing issues, please let contact the ITS Service Desk via http://its.uwa.edu.au/contact.
Or feel free to ask questions via this RESNet mailing list.

Regards,
Richard

Richard Wotherspoon | Network Administrator

Information Technology Services, Information Services Division
The University of Western Australia
M463, 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley, WA, 6009
Telephone: +61 8 6488 2574
Fax: +61 8 6488 4751
CRICOS Code: 00126G