[tech] projects bench computer

Bob bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 27 18:35:01 WST 2009

In other news...

I have resurrected a machine out of old parts from cobbler and ?velvet?
for the projects bench. It's an Athlon XP with 1GB RAM, and only a 40GB
hard drive - enough to do the job. It will have Debian and Windows
installed on it (mainly to support progs like AVR studio which only have
windows support). Given its origins, it is being called coblet.

I intend this machine to be used for projects only, and will not have
any games installed. I'm probably not going to UCC domain either, seeing
as this will facilitate non-project use.

I'm going to load it up with a couple of progs like eagle cad, and AVR
studio - if anyone can recommend some other good free software that
would be great. It will also have a number of resources on it such as
electronics and design ebooks, links to good suppliers, etc. More
importantly, it has a couple of serial connectors, and plenty of usb
ports. Also, if anyone has other handy hardware for projects, speak up
(no ISA slots on the motherboard for anyone who's thinking about that).

I will post on the list once coblet is completed, and secured.

Bob