[tech] mylah and musundo repurposing, virtualisation and storage

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 23 21:13:04 WST 2010

I've installed CentOS onto mylah, which is now known as maraena. I chose
the name because CentOS is a whitebox version of RHEL, and maraena is a
whitefish. Incidentally, muskellunge is the name that was going to be used
for the Sun v20z running VMWare, as they eat other fish like a VM server
eats other servers.

I'm using libvirt on maraena, which made installing mylah as a guest
running Debian lenny a breeze:

virt-install -n mylah -r 2048 --vcpus=2 --os-type=linux --os-variant=debianlenny -l http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-i386/ --disk vol=maraena/mylah -w bridge:br1

In preparation for hosting /services and /away mylah is now running a
2.6.32 kernel for ext4 and Samba 3.4.3 from backports.org.

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010, James Andrewartha wrote:
> > CentOS seems to be the way to go, as OpenSolaris just integrated Xen 3.4
> > so it's probably a bit early for production use. The only trick will be
> > PCI passthrough of the SCSI controller for amanda.
>
> I suggest perhaps ignoring trying to do anything tricky with Xen to start
> with and instead just migrate the non-tricky VMs into suitable places.

Yeah, I tried 3 different kernels while trying to get PCI passthrough
working with a Debian guest, and they all crashed or hung.

The problem now is that the Xen networking scripts break the network
configuration when they're run as part of the boot process, but not when
run after the boot has finished. It turns out this is due to Xen and
libvirt's network scripts conflicting, so I've set '(network-script
/bin/true)' in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp to disable the Xen scripts.
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

So instead of using them, I've manually set up bridges of VLANs 2 (the
default vlan on eth1) and 3 for the guest VMs. I've attached the relevant
files from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts. Guests on the clubroom network
should use br1.3

A big help in debugging this was using the ability to use the DRAC's
remote console from a terminal, not just the web Java applet. To do so,
telnet to the DRAC and run "connect video" to use the text login on tty1.

> Tricky stuff can come later. Eg - it's a tape device, there's no real
> reason why you couldn't run or write/run some form of tape proxy for
> Amanda via dom0.

That seems like a lot of effort compared to just running amanda in the
dom0, and mounting /space/amanda from mylah for scratch space.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |