[tech] Clubroom home directories of the future

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 8 20:53:22 WST 2010

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, K. Peachey wrote:
> Never done this on a none domain vista/seven machine, But you could
> try telling the profiles to a use a central mandatory profile and then
> redirect my documents and such.
>
> One side effect (good/bad depending on the view) would be then users
> can't set their own background or visual styles because they don't
> have a writable profile.

Mandatory profiles (and their secret identity, Super Mandatory Profiles)
are very much the wrong solution for the UCC. Not only can users not set
the desktop background or visual styles, none of their settings are saved.

> I can't remember if it creates their own copies of the mandatory
> profile or just accesses the central one, if it is the latter it would
> save the issue of having of getting defaults wrong the first(TM) time
> (also a Win '08 AD server would make this much easier but knowing the
> linux fans you guys are).

I have been assured by more than one Windows admin that Active Directory
is not what we want.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au