[tech] Clubroom home directories of the future

Bob Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jun 2 22:40:56 WST 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010, David Adam wrote:

> 2. Choice of folders.
>
> All users currently have two desktop folders - one in $AWAY/Desktop and
> one in $AWAY/profiles/Desktop. The same applies to Documents folders, etc.
> etc. Where should we redirect these folders to?
>
> 2A: seamless Windows experience: all users will see the same files in
> Windows XP and Windows 7, as the redirection policy will be set to
> $AWAY/profiles/Desktop. As Windows XP will probably go away soon enough,
> this my least preferred option.

Agreed, we only have one remaining xp install (on the domain) in the
clubroom, and that's going away as soon as Win 7 works and I can get a
licence for it.

> 2C: One True Desktop: as above, except we copy everything currently in
> $AWAY/profiles/Desktop to $AWAY/Desktop, and symlink the former to the
> latter. Probably the best user experience (no "where did my data go",
> maybe some "where did all this stuff come from"), but may require dealing
> with naming collisions (unlikely).

+1, having two desktops always confused me as a fresher, but could we put
everything in a Desktop.old folder to guarantee no naming collisions?

2c,

Bob