[tech] Donations from ITS

Bob Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 1 18:53:40 WST 2010

My apologies, in my efforts in keeping my email short and succinct I came
across rude.

UCC always appreciates donations and I realise that the club
relies on them. Yes, a blade server would be cool to play with, and some
extra storage space would be nice. However, I think it is very foolish to
accept any donation without a little more infomation and thought. While
theft may not be a problem, cooling is - are we actually going to be able
to run this without aircon? If we put it in the machine room, will the
aircon be able to keep up?

You must forgive my sentiments with respect to donations, but I have
observed that once something (especially donated items) enter UCC, they
are very hard to dispose of. Just look at the large box of DOS games that
sat in the middle of the clubroom for 3 months last year - nobody wanted
them, but they're still sitting on a shelf in the clubroom. This is not to
say that Craigs donation is a box of DOS games that nobody wants (quite
the contrary it seems), but I still think that my concerns are valid.

Bob Adamson
UCC Treasurer

|"Bureaucracy is a challenge to the be conquered with a righteous        |
|attitude, an intolerance for stupidity, and a bulldozer when necessary" |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |