[tech] IPv6 address space changing

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Nov 21 01:11:32 WST 2010

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010, David Adam wrote:
> We have been notified by ITS that the IPv6 address allocation for UWA will
> be changing from 2001:0388::/32 (an AARNET range) to 2405:3c00::/32
> (allocated portable direct to UWA).
>
> Consequently, the UCC's v6 allocation is changing from to
> 2001:388:7094:4080::/58 to 2405:3C00:1:4200::/56 (yes, we've increased our
> allocation a bit).
>
> Unless I can solve the source routing issues (post to ucc@ shortly), there
> will not be concurrent service to these address ranges, and therefore
> there may be some interruption in IPv6 transit (even between UCC hosts)
> when I make the changeover (probably Saturday night). I will post
> information to twitter.com/ucc_status as it becomes available, but it's
> likely that there will be things that remain broken for a while.

The source routing issues turned out to be non-issues, so I've gone ahead
and changed our range over.

The following things have been fixed:
 * radvd on Madako (for autoconfigurating clients)
 * firewall on Madako
 * DNS / reverse DNS (although the reverse DNS is not delegated properly
   and will not work outside UCC)
 * PPTP VPN allocations
 * MTA listening for mail @ipv6.ucc...

If there's anything else, please reply to this thread or email wheel at ucc.
We should probably get rid of the remaining 2001:388:7094:: addresses on
machines at some point but that can probably wait until they stop being
routed.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au