[tech] Post Rack Switch Status Update

Bob Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Jun 25 22:18:46 WST 2011

Hi,

What a marathon! 12 hours later, most of the machine room services are
back online. Two new racks were put in the machine room, and they even
fit, despite everyone's claims to the contrary! We finally have racks to
support the newer gear, so motsugo got racked up, along with the UPS.

Things that are still broken:

Camwhore (being its usual self) decided not to bring any of the cameras
online when it booted. Despite a couple of reboots, it hasn't fixed itself
and needs some TLC.

Centipede (the DECserver that was in the right rack) decided it hated life
and died. [DAA] found a replacement and got it going but the door service
is still refusing to work.

The clubroom is more of a disaster zone than usual, film at 11.

Mylah dropped a stuffed disk from the /space array overnight, so that got
taken out during the downtime. It then refused to boot because another
disk had exceeded its error count, so that had to be removed too. So
currently that raid has no redundancy, and I'm backing it up to the san
right now. We need to investigate purchasing 2 new ultra320 146G disks in
the very near future.

Musundo got upgraded to a v490. I'm not sure why it didn't come back
up, maybe zanchey can shed some light on the matter.

Not broken but needs doing:
The UPS software needs installing on something and testing.
Clubroom could probably do with a little cleanup...
Buy a beer for everyone that helped out, you guys rock.

Please email wheel@ or jump on irc if you notice anything else broken.

Andrew Adamson
UCC President
bob at ucc.asn.au

|"The faster you move, the slower time passes, the longer you live."     |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |