[tech] New UWA network interface options

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 31 17:29:02 WST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Bob Adamson wrote:

> It seems to me that if the copper link doesn't support gigabit, then this
> whole endeavour is pointless because we'll still have the 100mb bottleneck
> that we've been trying so hard to get around. I say test the link, if it
> doesn't do the speed, then we look at getting it replaced.

So after testing the copper link, it doesn't support gigabit.

There seems to be a reasonable degree of support for upgrading our links.
Copper will apparently cost in the region of $500, maybe less if we get
[AAW] to do it, and both [TRS] and I will put in some money towards it.

[BOB] would like to run fibre the whole way so that we eliminate our
reliance on the Cameron Hall comms room (in particular during power
outages). The quote [MRD] posted is $1300, although in the committee
meeting he said that he might be able to get that down by ordering a
pre-terminated cable and getting that installed.

If we go copper I think we should get two cables run; if we go with fibre
we should get definitely get two pairs, because that's what will be run to
us from the central network.

Apparently we have been pushed down the list for connection to the new
network but I think we should try and get a decision made at the next
meeting (particularly if there are no further meetings planned until the
end of November).

My personal vote would be for fibre if we can get it for <$750 and copper
otherwise - we may well be leaving the current building in the next
eighteen months - but that's a committee decision and it would be nice if
it was based on consensus and not swayed by strong personalities.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au