[tech] New UWA network interface options

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 19 08:21:13 WST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, David Adam wrote:

> The problem with the first option, which I discovered with a trill of gay
> laughter after having spent many hours trying to get it working, is that
> you can't connected any 100 megabit devices to a copper GBIC. However, I'm
> not convinced that our uplink copper cable will support gigabit traffic.

At $470, I don't think the cost of putting in a new uplink is prohibitive.
I'll put in $50.

Incidentally, madako will need to be upgraded/replaced as its uplink is
only 100Mbit at the moment.

> The problem with the second option is that it takes what is currently our
> LAN switch out of commission and wastes 44 perfectly good copper ports.
> However, with the new giant Cisco 4507R installed in the rack, we might be
> migrating off coconut (same model as palm) sometime soon anyway, which
> would negate this.

My work has recently deprecated four Enterasys C2G124-48 switches, which
have 48 port 10/100/1000baseTX ports with four shared SFP slots which
could be used as LAN switches.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |