[tech] [committee] Wire wrap and other prototyping

Harry harrymc at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 27 10:00:42 WST 2012

Hi Bob, Sam et al

I like the idea of a weekend (afternoons since I cycle in the morning,
frequently both days).

Sam, that particular board has a lot of small parts so I think it would be
useful for adding some analog or interface glue onto something built around
the embed board. I have an almost complete one of the boards that I am about
to consume so I can bring down the results of that to show what I wanted to
test. Wire-wrap will cost a bit more than solder, sockets, and wire (and you
can get more circuit onto an area than using vero strip board) but the two
advantages are that you can play with the circuit like using a breadboard but
when you stop, the final circuit is pretty robust and ready to go in a box if
you intent to use it more permanently.

If you want to use larger SMD parts then we'd have to buy some individual
adaptor boards. Have a look at the other general purpose boards (like TSSOP
etc) on the Bellin site.

Is there a UCC project needed based around an embed or arduino that needs
doing that has to have some analog (op-amp buffers for ADC or DACs etc), power
supply, interface (RJ45 with magnetics) that we could build up to demonstrate
wire-wrap prototypes ? If you can think of an example we could meet, design,
and order a few parts, then meet again to assemble the hardware.

Harry