[tech] Manbo/Manduba

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jul 16 14:44:54 WST 2013

We should have a get together - would you like people to come to your
place for a visit in the near future, Tony, Linda?

Nick.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 08:37:34AM +0800, Tony Epton wrote:
> I would be very happy to acquire the E6000 for the museum if it is still
> available (but of course it will be dormant for some time and just in
> storage)

[...]
> Anyone in touch with Bruce Cook? (or Rachel?)
>
> In other news... there's a server at the UCC looking for a home:
> http://wiki.ucc.asn.au/Manbo
>
> It's a functional Sun Enterprise E6000 that ERG bought for the GMPTE
> (Manchester) project and ran as a shell server and build server. ERG donated
> it in 2004 to the University Computer Club, who upgraded it in stages, the
> OS from Solaris 8 to OpenSolaris, a second E4000 chassis; and to a total of
> 14 x 400MHz CPUs, 12.25GiB RAM, 20 x 10000rpm discs. The CPUs were with a
> $1300 grant from Linux Australia in 2005; and it was run as a GNOME
> tinderbox server. Part of it was recommissioned in the
> E4000 chassis as manduba, UCC's off-site backup host in the UWA Arts server
> room. There's a full height Sun rack and the extra chassis.
>
> It's a newer brother-in-spirit to Starfish, the Star 910, Sun clone, already
[ waiting for Simon to reclaim it! ]

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal