[tech] Potential club LCD TV purchase

Andrew Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Nov 10 20:42:38 WST 2013

I agree that TV's are in general better than projectors - dollar for
dollar they have better image reproduction in terms of resolution and
lifetime. However, I think a projector is better for UCC for the following
reasons:

- The projector is easier and more practical at events such as
lans, tech talks, the camp, and other events outside the clubroom. We need
a projector for these events even if we have a TV in the clubroom.
- The projector is occasionally borrowed by members who wouldn't otherwise
have access to one
- The projector screen is of a size that allows it to be seen easily from
most points in the clubroom as well as from the loft

Now I realise that our current setup isn't ideal - it's difficult to turn
the projector on and off without climbing up on the bench, the resolution
isn't great, and we don't have a screen that can be watched without
developing a crick in your neck. The first two problems can be solved by
buying a better projector, and the third can be solved by buying a
projector screen that is mounted on offset brackets and drops down in
front of the shelves. The "looking nearly straight up to see the screen"
problem won't be solved by putting a TV up there.

I would say that we want a better mount for the projector as well because
the current one is nigh impossible to adjust. We can buy that with a new
projector or I can whip something up through work.

In terms of looking at projectors, in the past I've found that Harris
Technology has one of the better ranges with decent prices. See
http://www.ht.com.au/N/Displays-Projectors/list.hts for more on that. It
may also be worth looking at a rental option as that reduces the upfront
cost and means we can get cover for accidental breakage (a big plus if
members will be borrowing it).

Andrew Adamson
bob at ucc.asn.au

|"If you can't beat them, join them, and then beat them."                |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |