[tech] Minutes of Wheel/Tech Meeting 2014-05-09

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 10 00:17:34 WST 2014

http://mikelev.in/ux/

> Rules for Colos and VMs and maybe some sort of network usage monitor
>    - What do we need for Network Monitoring?
>      - [BOB] Netblocks Blue
>        - [TRS] says it is glorified IPTABLES (says [BOB], [TRS] not here)
>        - [BOB] says it works

Netbox Blue. It'll show you traffic, but it's not what it's designed for.
There are other firewalls that are better for detecting stuff, eg Palo
Alto or Fortinet.

>        - It can detect other things (Brute force, Virus, Wierd Stuff)

It has snort and a forked (in 2007) version of l7-filter.

> Back to UPS
>    - Is there monitoring software?
>      - The software is for Windows XP, have fun

What's the model? There may be a driver for nut.

>      - Discussion of "Pirate Debian", breaks the GPL or something?
>      - Just a linux server with LVM?
>        - Boring but functional
>        - ([SZM] would settle for boring but functional in a
> fileserver...)

OpenMediaVault? It's basic Linux with LVM and a web ui.

Maybe ask the Proxmox list? I had a brief look at the forum but couldn't
really find any recommendations.

>          - Mooneye IS the webserver (ucc.asn.au) contrary to popular
> belief

Technically yes, actually no:

motsugo:~> telnet ucc.asn.au 80
Trying 130.95.13.9...